Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Pears can be substituted for the apples in the same amount. Very crunchy almondy flavor, and not overwhelming with fruit. Be sure to serve with vanilla ice cream!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup unblanched whole almonds, toasted
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large cooking apples
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly spray 10 inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- In food processor combine 2/3 cup sugar and toasted almonds and process until nuts are ground.
- Add milk, butter, flour, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
- Process with on off turns until combined.
- Pour mixture into pie pan.
- Peel, core and cut apples into quarters.
- Place on cutting board, and slice thinly.
- Arrange apples in nut mixture, fanning style.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 45-50 minutes.
- If edges brown towards end cover with foil.