Recipe by White Rose Child
This quick, creamy, and nutrient-packed breakfast cereal will surprise you. As usual for oatmeal, it's very filling and the almond butter provides sustaining energy. (You can easily halve or double this amount for your required number of servings.)
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 2⁄3 cup soymilk (I used almond) or 2⁄3 cup almond milk (I used almond) or 2⁄3 cup other dairy milk (I used almond) or 2⁄3 cup nondairy milk (I used almond)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 3 -4 teaspoons almond butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple butter
- extra artificial sweetener, ground flax seed, cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the oats and liquids to a boil, and reduce heat to just keep up a gentle bubbling.
- Stir frequently for 5-8 minutes, till thick and creamy. Careful it doesn't stick!
- If time permits, remove from heat and let sit, covered, 2-3 minutes.
- Dollop in the almond and apple butters and stir well, making sure they're thouroughly blended with the oatmeal. Split between two bowls and serve.
- You can add your favorite hot porridge toppings, if you like: sweetener depending on how much sugar is already in your almond/apple butter, or ground flax or other nuts or seeds- or just a sprinkle of cinnamon, if your apple butter isn't spiced. Experiment and enjoy!