I had some almond flour (labeled as almond flour/meal) that I wanted to try, but I couldn't find a recipe that was really what I wanted, so I whipped this up patching a bunch of recipes together. Surprisingly, these came out great! If you don't have any almond flour, substitute regular flour. I had some ground nut/sugar/cardamom topping hanging around that I used, but feel free to leave the top bare or add the optional crunch topping listed below.
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour or 1⁄2 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour or 1 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1 medium apple, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, finely chopped (optional)
Optional Crunch Topping
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 2 tablespoons almonds, finely chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease or line a 12 muffin tin.
- Whisk the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and egg until beaten. Add the applesauce and mix to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry. Add the chopped apples and optional nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into muffin tins.
- Mix crunch topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle topping over unbaked muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through.