Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 5 mins
- 1 lb loaf cinnamon-raisin bread, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ground cinnamon or powdered sugar
- 1. Spread bread pieces in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and almond extract. Stir in apple pie filling and half of the almonds. Carefully pour apple mixture over the bread in baking dish. Press bread pieces down into the egg mixture with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
- 2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, uncovered, about 50 minutes or until the internal temperature registers 170 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Lightly sprinkle cinnamon or sift powdered sugar over the top before serving. Makes 8 servings.
- * Cook time includes: Bake time, chill time, & stand time.