Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A moist, not too sweet cake that is topped with thick slices of apple and an almond-cinnamon topping. So good!
- 3 large apples, peeled, quartered and cored
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, sliced and blanched
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grease a 9" springform pan and set aside.
- Peel, quarter and core the apples.
- Cut each quarter into 3 pieces to make 36 wedges; set aside.
- Make the topping by stirring together the sliced almonds, sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, butter and almond extract.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and stir just enough to blend the wet into the dry.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
- Arrange the apple wedges attractively over the batter, making a wider outer circles and a smaller inner circle; set aside.
- Sprinkle the almond topping mixture over the apples.
- Bake in the center of a 350 degree F oven until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Release the side of the pan and serve with whipped cream.