Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderful savory quiche-like appetizer, that can be cut into any size squares.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (unsifted)
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely crushed butter flavored crackers (Ritz crackers are good)
- 2⁄3 cup cold butter (butter-flavor Crisco COLD may be used if desired) or 2⁄3 cup margarine (butter-flavor Crisco COLD may be used if desired)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cups swiss cheese (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped ham (crumbled) or 1 1⁄2 cups cooked sausage, diced pepperoni, crumbled cooked bacon (crumbled)
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion (with tops)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos, well drained (can use more if desired)
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and pepper
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare an ungreased 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll style pan.
- FOR THE CRUST: In a bowl, combine flour and the crushed cracker crumbs.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup water (a tablespoon at a time).
- Toss with a fork until crumbs are completely moistened.
- Press mixture into bottom of ungreased pan.
- Prick crust WELL with a fork; set aside.
- FILLING: Sprinkle Swiss cheese, ham (or what ever meat you are using), onions, parsley and pimentoes evenly over crust.
- Beat eggs, cream, half and half, salt and pepper.
- Pour over filled crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set (crust may bubble during baking, and need to be pricked with a fork again).
- Cool 5-10 minutes.
- Cut into 1-1/2 - 2-inch sqares/pieces.
- Serve warm.