1/4 Photos of Appetizer Pesto Salad Kebabs
A great summery appetizer! We enjoyed a similar salad as a light lunch at the restaurant of a wine farm near Robertson the Western Cape Province, and ever since I've been imitating it. Of course small soft mozzarella balls (bocconcini) are preferable, as is home-made pesto, but let's face it, these real deli goodies are not always available. I used a good bottled pesto and ordinary mozzarella. You can use shallots in place of the small (pickling type) onions. This is great with a glass of chilled dry white wine and some still-warm home-made bread!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 white pearl onions, small, the type used for pickling (or use shallots)
- 4 -8 slices ham, best quality (like Parma or Black Forest ham)
- 12 bite-size fresh mozzarella cheese balls (or 12 mozzarella squares, or bocconcini balls)
- 12 grape tomatoes (also called small plum tomatoes)
- 2 -3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (if necessary, see directions)
- 1 cup arugula (or use any lettuce mixture, tightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette dressing
- concentrated balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1You'll need 4 - 6 thin kebab sticks.
- 2Peel the onions, rinse well, and boil for 5 minutes. (More than that. and they tend to disintegrate). Rinse again under cold water and leave to cool somewhat. They don't have to be cold when you use them.
- 3Prepare the mozzarella -- draining and drying, or cutting into neat chunks.
- 4Rinse and dry the small tomatoes.
- 5Put the cooled onions, the mozzarella pieces and the tomatoes in a small bowl. If your pesto is quite thick, mix in the olive oil to thin. Gently fold in the pesto with a spoon to coat the cheese, onions and small tomatoes.
- 6Arrange either arugula lettuce leaves on plates. Drizzle each little heap with some vinaigrette.
- 7Put on each skewer tomatoes, pieces of mozzarella, folded ham slices and onions. (See photo's -- use as it suits you). For delicate presentation, use fewer ingredients on a skewer. For a side dish at a BBQ, use longer skewers and more ingredients.
- 8Arrange the skewers on the salad leaves.
- 9Drizzle some thick balsamic on the plate. Serve with extra vinaigrette.
- 10Can be served as a side salad, starter, or with wine and bread as a healthy light lunch.
- 11**When taking the photograph I did not have ham, and fried some bacon, but it's not as delicate as a very good ham.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Appetizer Pesto Salad Kebabs
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1008.7
- Calories from Fat 651
- Total Fat 72.3 g
- Saturated Fat 36.1 g
- Cholesterol 201.9 mg
- Sodium 1619.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 60.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: