Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice change of pace from the regular tortilla-wrapped pinwheels, these rolled appetizers are wrapped in the meat themselves and baked, then sliced. And they're great for folks looking for lowcarb appetizers, too.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper (tricolor pepper is nice, too)
- 3 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 large fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- fresh spinach leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap or inside a large Ziplog bag; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stir together goat cheese, cream cheese, and basil; spread evenly over each chicken breast.
- Top each with 2 spinach leaves and roasted red peppers.
- Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting with a short side.
- Secure rolls with wooden picks, and place seam-side-down in a lightly greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F (175C degrees) for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 20 additional minutes or until chicken is done.
- Slice crosswise into 6-8 pieces, and serve on a spinach-lined plate, if desired.