Recipe by IngridH
From A Taste of Switzerland. Definitely comfort food! Potatoes, cheese,and bacon- who could ask for more! The original recipe calls for Rass cheese, which is a very pungent semi hard cheese. If you can't find it, use another semi hard cheese.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes
- 3 1⁄2 ounces bacon, cubed small
- cooking oil, as needed
- 5 ounces appenzeller rass cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the unpeeled potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain, cool, and refrigerate overnight (or for several hours). Peel and grate the potatoes on a coarse grater. Season the potato shreds with salt and pepper.
- Fry the bacon in a large heavy skillet until the fat renders. If needed, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes, and mix to combine with the bacon. Gently press the mixture into the pan to form a cake.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat until the bottom is golden and crusty. Invert a plate over the pan, and turn out the rosti.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, and slide the rosti back in, cooked side up. Cook until the other side is golden, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the grated cheese, cover, and let sit for about 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted.