Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This awesome and easy recipe was posted by Donna Lilacflower from email@example.com, a Yahoo group I am on. I've made it several times and it always receives rave reviews!
- 4 -5 medium apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided (reduce sugar to 1 cup for sweeter apples)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 dash cardamom (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease a 9" pie pan or glass pie plate.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Fill pie plate 3/4 full with apple slices.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the sugar, cinnamon and cardamom if using. Mix well and sprinkle over the apple slices.
- In a small saucepan melt butter or margarine and remove from heat.
- Add remaining sugar, flour and egg.
- Stir to mix well.
- Pour over apples .
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve hot with ice cream.
- Note - The crust forms and goes through the pie. It is really a unique pastry.
Too sweet, apples turned to mush and the topping was rock hard.
No one cared for it
I know this recipe. It's awesome. It was posted by Donna in
vegetarian_group on Yahoo
This smells delicious while baking and tastes really good. I made it gluten free by using a rice flour mix (white rice flour & half the amount of tapioca starch, no gum) I used granny smith apples, dark brown sugar on top of the apples and white sugar in the crust, I reduced both by about half along with the butter like another reviewer. Doing that made the batter unable to be poured, but I spooned it on top and it worked out fine. I chose just to use cinnamon as I felt, though I love cardamom, I wouldn't in this. I would make this again and would like to try with more butter than I did but keep the sugar at about half. Made for Sweet Traditions Tag Game - Spring 2010.