Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious Dutch treat, traditionally served on New Years Eve
- 6 baking apples (Spy, Red Delicious and Granny Smith work well)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Peel and core apples, cut into slices to form rings about 1/2 inch thick.
- Beat egg into milk and add to dry ingredients. result should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Dip apple rings into batter and deep fry at 350* until golden brown on both sides. do not overcrowd, fry 3 or 4 slices at a time allowing plenty of space to flip the slices over.
- Drain on paper towels and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle with icing sugar. (also good plain).
These aren't called "Appelflappen", but "Appelbeignets". An Appelflap is more like an apple turnover, a pile of apple pieces with sugar and cinnamon in a triangle shaped puffpastry