Recipe by l'ecole
Both of my sister-in-laws parents were born in the mountains of North Carolina. This is her family recipe; couldn't believe how simple it is!
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup bacon grease
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar, heaping
Directions See How It's Made
- Put corn oil or bacon grease in a 6” iron skillet and put your skillet in the oven to preheat to 400 degrees. While it's preheating, slightly beat eggs into milk.
- Sift together the corn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- When the oil/oven is preheated, pour the oil or grease into the mixture, leaving a layer in the pan. Stir quickly. Pour batter in the pan, and bake for about 20 minutes or so, until when you stick a toothpick in it, it comes out clean.