2 hrs 20 mins
Bone Man's Note:
I specialize in preparing Appalachian dishes, which, simply put, utilize common ingredients and produces a lot of flavor and feeds many people on a small budget. This chili tastes great, is easy to prepare and can also be served over spaghetti if desired. This is what you would call "Grandma's chili."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 8 ounces commercial salsa
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 large carrots, cut into nickles
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 chipotle pepper (canned in sauce - do not rinse sauce off the pepper)
- 2 tablespoons frank red hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sorghum molasses
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans, in sauce
- 1 lb dried spaghetti (optional)
- 1In a large cooking pot, pour in the beef and chicken broth and crumble in the burger.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3Add all other ingedients, except for the beans and the spaghetti, stirring after adding each one.
- 4Once the chili begins to boil, reduce the heat so that it will boil slowly with the lid on.
- 5Allow the chili to slowly boil for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add the beans after 90 minutes and allow the chili to continue the slow boil for another 30 minutes.
- 7If desired, Prepare the spaghetti separately, boiling in water per package directions, and set aside, covered.
- 8Serve either in medium-sized bowls with saltines or oyster crackers available at the table or, portion out the chili over the spaghetti on large plates.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Appalachian Chili
Serving Size: 1 (471 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 364.8
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 39.1 mg
- Sodium 1170.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 23.1 g