Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Wonderful old-time candy that we first discovered outside of Luray, Va on our way up the mountain to Shenandoah. We had stopped for our usual provisioning of apples before the week's camping trip and got conned by one of the boys into buying a box of these. We were all immediate fans. Hope you enjoy as well. Easy to make and fun to do with children.
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated apples
- 2 tablespoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped black walnut (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine 1/2 cup grated apple and gelatin. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Combine remainder of grated apple, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add apple/gelatin mixture. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool off flame until room temperature. Add vanilla and nuts.
- Pour into oiled 8"square pan and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Cut into 1" squares.
- Combine confectioners sugar and cornstarch. Roll candy squares in this mix.
- Store in airtight tin.