Recipe by ThatSouthernBelle
From The World of Greece: Odyssey Magazine, Nov-Dec.2008 edition. "Stewed pears are a popular home-made dessert, especially with Greek children, but are slowly finding their way on the menus of Greek restaurants serving contemporary cuisine. This recipe is best made with apidia, the larger pears with the slighty pink skin."
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully peel the pears taking care not to remove the stalk.
- Place the pears upright in a pan; add the wine and the sugar.
- Gently simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon stick and the cloves and continue to simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve the pears cold drizzled with the wine sauce from the pan.