Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adopted from zaar Feb 2005. All comments below are from the original chef. I will update when I have prepared this recipe myself. Honni
- 6 cups apples, tart, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, ground
- 8 ounces phyllo pastry, thawed (1/2 box)
- 1 3⁄4 cups butter (no margarine)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, finely crushed
- Mix apples with raisins, lemon rind, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds; set aside.
- Place 1 phyllo leaf on a kitchen towel and brush with melted butter.
- Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again.
- Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 cup of butter.
- Cook and stir bread crumbs with 1/4 cup of butter until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup crumbs on the layered phyllo leaves.
- Mound 1/2 of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Lift towel, using it to roll leaves over apples, jelly roll fashion.
- Brush top of the strudel with butter and sprinkle with 2 T crumbs.
- Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel.
- Bake the strudels at 400°F for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
- Frozen phyllo leaves for strudel can be found at most supermarkets in the frozen foods sections.