Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A classic German comfort food that goes well as a side dish with pork chops or poultry.
Make and share this Apfelrotkoh (Braised Red Cabbage) recipe from Food.com.
- Thinly shred the cabbage and let it soak in a bowl of water.
- While the cabbage is soaking, chop the bacon and onion.
- Peel and core the apple, then slice it.
- Add the bacon (or vegetable oil) to a large pot and sauté until browned (or oil is heated).
- Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- Add the apple vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- Add the honey, spices, apple, and salt.
- Drain the cabbage and add to the pot, a handful at a time, stirring as you ad it until it wilts a little.
- Braise the cabbage for up to an hour and a half until the cabbage is soft. If there is liquid left, you can let the cabbage absorb the liquid.
I'm not rating this too low b/c I understand that this is probably an acquired taste- but my family DID NOT like this at all. made for ZWT6 and the Xtra Hot Dishes.
Delicious! This is so easy to put together and looks very pretty upon presentation as well. Loved the bacon and apple with caraway, terrific combination! Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT 6 :)
Yum! Although I've eaten braised cabbage before, this was the first time that I've made it. It was simple to put together and tasted great. I halved the recipe and used the optional ingredients too for a really nice flavor. Thanks Scarlett for a nice treat. Made by an Unruly Under the Influence for ZWT6.