1/3 Photos of Apfelrotkoh (Braised Red Cabbage)
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A classic German comfort food that goes well as a side dish with pork chops or poultry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small-medium head red cabbage
- 2 slices bacon or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion
- 1 tart apple (such as Granny Smith)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1Thinly shred the cabbage and let it soak in a bowl of water.
- 2While the cabbage is soaking, chop the bacon and onion.
- 3Peel and core the apple, then slice it.
- 4Add the bacon (or vegetable oil) to a large pot and sauté until browned (or oil is heated).
- 5Add the onion and sauté until golden.
- 6Add the apple vinegar to deglaze the pan.
- 7Add the honey, spices, apple, and salt.
- 8Drain the cabbage and add to the pot, a handful at a time, stirring as you ad it until it wilts a little.
- 9Braise the cabbage for up to an hour and a half until the cabbage is soft. If there is liquid left, you can let the cabbage absorb the liquid.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apfelrotkoh (Braised Red Cabbage)
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.7
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 734.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g