Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My Mum (who is German) gave me this recipie recently and it is the only Apfelkuchen i make from now on. It has an amazing Apricot glaze and is full of apples. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm sure you won't be disappointed! Note: you can make the marzipan on your own - just look at one of the recipies at zaar :)
For the dough
- 150 g marzipan
- 150 g butter
- 70 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150 g flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the filling
- 10 small apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons calvados (Apple Schnaps - you can also take Cointreau)
- 2 tablespoons cut almonds
- For the dough, first cut the Marzipan and the butter into little pieces.
- Cream them with the sugar and the eggs.
- Mix flour and baking powder, put the mixtures to the marzipan-butter mixture.
- Add the milk.
- Pre-heat your oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
- Butter a 26 cm cake-form.
- Clean the apples with the special apple-core cleaner.
- Don't peel them!
- Bring 1/2 liter of water and the lemon juice to a boil.
- Pull the pot with the water off the stove and add the apples- let them stand for approximately 5 minutes.
- Pour in the batter, except 4 tbsp, into the cake-form.
- Take the apples and put them into the form.
- Fill the cores with the 4 tbsp of the batter.
- Then melt the butter and glaze the cake with it.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes- you might need up to 1 hour though.
- Make the test with a wooden stick- if the batter still runny.
- If the cake gets too dark, cover with some baking paper.
- Warm the Jam with the Calvados or any other alcohol you're using for a minute in you microwave.
- 10 minutes before the cake is good, glaze the cake with the jam mixture.
- Put the almonds on top.
- Bake until it is ready.
I feel very well-qualified to review this recipe as thalassa was at my home 10 days ago making it for me. It is wonderful! And what makes it wonderful (imo) is the marzipan used in the cake batter. This dessert is LOADED with apples and tastes wonderful what with the applie/almond/apricot combination. Must be tried!