Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a condiment from Austria that is traditionally served with boiled beef. It is nice with smoked meats as well. If you want to make this milder, add more sour cream/cream.
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (only 1T needed if using prepared horseradish)
- 50 g grated horseradish (or the equivalent of prepared horseradish if you cannot get it fresh)
- 1 large tart apple, peeled & cored
- caster sugar
- 50 ml double cream
- 50 ml sour cream
- Stir 1T of the lemon juice into the grated horseradish (to stop it going brown). If using prepared horseradish skip this step.
- Grate the apple & mix with the horseradish and the remaining 1T of lemon juice.
- Add salt & sugar to taste & leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Lightly beat the double cream & fold in the sour cream until combined.
- Mix this into the horseradish mixture & serve.
Picked this for the Australia/New Zealand swap #4. I have always liked horeradish sauces. This is a really keeper. The grated apple and touch of sugar offer a nice contrast to the sharpness of the horseradish herb. I wouldn't change a thing. I made this to have on a roast beef sandwich but my next taste of this will be on ham. Really good.