This is a traditional German recipe. It is considered a 'cake' there, but more akin to what we know as bars.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoons salt and baking powder. Cut in butter as for pie crust. Add egg yolks. Press half in the bottom of a 10 x 15 inche jelly roll pan.
- Combine apples, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread over the bottom
- crust. Crumble remaining crust over the filling.
- Brush with egg whites and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with a vanilla custard sauce or ice cream.