Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
Deep fried apple "doughnut" recipe that leaves the apple ring whole inside.
- 4 -5 tart apples
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 ounces apple cider
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- oil, for deep-frying
- cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar
- Add flour, hazelnuts, salt, one tablespoon of sugar and the vanilla to a bowl and mix well.
- Add apple cider and stir.
- Add yolk of 2 eggs and one teaspoon of oil and mix well.
- Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.
- Peel the apples and remove the core.
- Cut the apples in rings, each about ½ inch thick.
- Add 3 tablespoons of sugar to the lemon juice, toss with the apples and set aside.
- Add a pinch of salt to the eggwhites and beat until it is stiff, carefully fold it into the dough.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying-pan to 375°.
- Dip one ring of apple at a time into the dough and fry it immediately in the oil on both sides until it is brown.
- Drip off the oil.
- Sprinkle confectioner's or cinnamon sugar evenly over the rings while they are still warm and serve them immediately.
- They will also taste good when they are cold, especially if you serve them with some warm vanilla icing.