- 8 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 quarts water
- 6 slices pumpernickel bread, soaked in water and squeezed dry
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup currants (seedless raisins may be used)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine apples and water in a saucepan.
- Add bread and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until apples are very soft.
- Force the apple mixture through a sieve, or puree in a food processor.
- Return mixture to pan and reheat.
- Add sugar, currants and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and rind.
- Cook 5 minutes more.
- Serve very hot.