Recipe by gemini08
These delicious treats are found in bakery shops throughout Austria and Bavaria and are enjoyed as part of a continental breakfast or brunch with a cup of coffee. They are best made with authentic german quark "How to Make German Quark", but ricotta or even cream cheese can be substituted. Use canned apple pie filling or check out "Apple Pie Filling" for a homemade pie filling. This pastry can also be made without the apple pie filling, just increase the amount of cheese and sugar to taste.
- 1 cup apple pie filling
- 1 cup Quark or 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 reconstituted raisins (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Thaw the puff pastry, unwrap and cut into 8 equal squares.
- Cream the quark together with the sugar, vanilla extract, egg and drained raisins, if using, fold in the pie filling and stir to combine. If using ricotta, drain first, the mixture should not be runny.
- Put a tablespoon of filling onto each pastry square, pick up the two opposing dough corners first, then the two other corners, press all four together in the center to make a sealed pocket.
- Brush with milk and place on a prepared baking sheet, preheat oven to 3125F and bake until puffed up, golden brown and delicious.
- Let cool slightly, dust with confectioners sugar.