Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A yummy stew made by my gf's family on the rez in AZ :) its really yummy
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 green anaheim chilies
- 3 cups cooked indian hominy
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 8 cups water
- 1 lb venison, cut into 1 1/2 inch
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, finely
- 1 cup tumbleweed greens
- Roast the peppers, then peel, seed, and cut into long strips. Roast the chiles, then peel, seed, devein and dice.
- Heat the oil in a large stew pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the venison and cook until the meat is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in the carrots, peppers, and chiles and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the hominy, water, salt, and pepper and bring the mixture ot a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until the meat is very tender.
- Just before serving, add the tumbleweed greens, stir 1 minute and spoon into bowls.