I made these cookies to use up some ingredients - but made modifications. The original recipe called for unsweetened coconut (2 cups) - I had sweetened coconut which I used decreasing the sugar to 3/4 cup (original recipe was 1 cup sugar). Original recipe called for 3T golden syrup -- didn't have any so used 3 T maple syrup. I found the recipe on Facebook but it was submitted by Saveur Magazine. Below is my changed recipe which came out pretty good if you are a coconut fan. Want to try the recipe again as written without my modifications
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups oatmeal (I use slow cooking oatmeal, original recipe calls for rolled oats, but I think that is the same thin)
- 2 cups coconut (see description, I used sweetened, but original recipe calls for unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 10 1/2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (I used pure maple syrup, original recipe calls for golden syrup which is not available where I live)
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2In a large bowl whisk dry ingredients (oatmeal - sugar) together and set aside.
- 3Stir water and baking soda in a measuring cup or small bowl. Set aside.
- 4Melt butter and syrup together over medium heat. Then add in the water/baking soda mixture.
- 5Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- 6Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheets which have been covered with parchment paper.
- 7Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anzac Biscuits (Modified)
Serving Size: 1 (985 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2151.7
- Calories from Fat 1100
- Total Fat 122.3 g
- Saturated Fat 88.2 g
- Cholesterol 160.2 mg
- Sodium 1520.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 248.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.6 g
- Sugars 100.4 g
- Protein 28.1 g