Prep 10 mins
Cook 13 mins
Another recipe found on Taste.com.au while searching for recipes for the Australia leg of ZWT. Here is what was stated: A delicious combination of butter, oats, golden syrup and coconut, it's no wonder these biscuits are an Aussie classic!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 125 g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Sift flour into a bowl. Add oats, coconut, sugar and lemon rind. Stir to combine. Make a well in centre.
- Place butter and golden syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds or until butter has melted. Stir to combine. Combine bicarbonate of soda and boiling water in a bowl. Add to butter mixture. Stir to combine. Add to flour mixture. Stir to combine.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Place balls, 3cm apart, slightly flattened, on prepared trays. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway during cooking, or until golden. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.
Reviewed for ZWT8 Aus/NZ region. A traditional Anzac bisucit recipe with added lemon zest. We made 34 cookies and my family all give 5 stars for these. Photo also to be posted
We had to search a little to find Golden Syrup, and found it at an upscale grocery known for that sort of thing. These biscuits -- you're forbidden to call them "cookies" -- have a hard, crunchy texture and a sweet coconut-accented flavor. The second batch, baked less than the recipe suggested, have a softer, chewier texture we liked better. I expect to never learn what they're like a day old. Made for ZWT8.