Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is a go to for me! I make it in a million different variations and do it from memory and without fail it's a hit. Warms a tummy on a cold snowy (or in our case rainy) night! I've written the instructions for slow cooker times, but this stew can easily be done on the stove top and cooked for approximately 4 hours on low/med heat.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb stew beef chunk
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves (or substitute 2 tsp of garlic powder)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned mushrooms (can subsitute fresh)
- 2 (900 ml) boxes reduced-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1 -2 russet potato
- 3 celery ribs
- 4 carrots
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium frying pan on high heat.
- When oil is hot add meat and reduce heat to med/high.
- Chop onion and add to frying pan. Let the mixture cook until well browned, leaving little bits in the frying pan. Watch to make sure it doesn't burn. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When meat is cooked, remove from heat and add to slow cooker. Place pan back on stove and allow to get hot again.
- Chop celery, carrots and Pepper, place in pan and allow to sear only for a minute.
- Add pan contents to slow cooker, return pan to stove and add 1/4 cup of the beef liquid and use to deglaze the bottom of your pan.
- Pour contents of pan into slow cooker.
- Peel and chop potato, add to slow cooker.
- Add remaining beef broth, water, diced tomatoes with juice, mushrooms with juice and seasoning.
- Turn slow cooker on high for 8 hours or low for 10.
- Serve with biscuits and enjoy.