4 hrs 15 mins
Chef #682819's Note:
This recipe is a go to for me! I make it in a million different variations and do it from memory and without fail it's a hit. Warms a tummy on a cold snowy (or in our case rainy) night! I've written the instructions for slow cooker times, but this stew can easily be done on the stove top and cooked for approximately 4 hours on low/med heat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb stew beef chunk
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 garlic cloves (or substitute 2 tsp of garlic powder)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned mushrooms (can subsitute fresh)
- 2 (900 ml) boxes reduced-sodium beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 -2 russet potato
- 3 celery ribs
- 4 carrots
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1Heat vegetable oil in a medium frying pan on high heat.
- 2When oil is hot add meat and reduce heat to med/high.
- 3Chop onion and add to frying pan. Let the mixture cook until well browned, leaving little bits in the frying pan. Watch to make sure it doesn't burn. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 4When meat is cooked, remove from heat and add to slow cooker. Place pan back on stove and allow to get hot again.
- 5Chop celery, carrots and Pepper, place in pan and allow to sear only for a minute.
- 6Add pan contents to slow cooker, return pan to stove and add 1/4 cup of the beef liquid and use to deglaze the bottom of your pan.
- 7Pour contents of pan into slow cooker.
- 8Peel and chop potato, add to slow cooker.
- 9Add remaining beef broth, water, diced tomatoes with juice, mushrooms with juice and seasoning.
- 10Turn slow cooker on high for 8 hours or low for 10.
- 11Serve with biscuits and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anytime Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.3
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 30.3 mg
- Sodium 471.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stew beef chunks
reduced-sodium beef stock