Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a wonderfully versatile recipe that has never failed me yet. Use whatever fruit you have... fresh, frozen or canned.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- sliced peaches or rhubarb or pineapple or blueberries or strawberries or cherries or pears or apple, etc,your choice (If the fruit is frozen, thaw and drain well. If the fruit is canned, drain well)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine first six ingredients.
- Mix well with a wisk or electric beaters.
- In a seperate bowl, combine flour and baking powder.
- Stir and set aside.
- In a 9 x 12 baking dish, melt butter.
- Sprinkle brown sugar on top, making sure theres enough to cover, but it all gets absorbed in the melted butter.
- Arrange fruit on top, in a single, even layer.
- Slowly mix flour mixture into moist mixture, and mix well.
- Dollop batter over fruit, and spread with a spatula to even it out.
- Bake immediately for 25 minutes, until cake is brown.
- Remove from oven and invert onto cookie sheet or appropriate platter.
- Cool slightly, then remove baking dish from ontop.
- Cool before cutting, and serve warm-- with icecream!