Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This tasty low-fat sauce goes great with anything!! From pork chops, to chicken, to pasta, to baked potatoes...it is YUMMY!! I think I got the basis for this recipe from "Light & Tasty" magazine and tweaked it a bit here and there.
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth or 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry or 1⁄4 cup additional broth
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (option)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- In large non-stick skillet, sauté mushrooms and garlic in margarine until tender.
- Add 1 1/4 cup broth, rosemary, and thyme.
- Bring to boil; cook until reduced by two-thirds.
- Add 2/3 cup broth, sherry or additional broth, teriyaki, and hot pepper sauce; cook and stir over high heat until mixture is reduced by two-thirds.
- Add remaining broth, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- In bowl, combine milk powder and cornstarch; gradually stir in milk until well blended.
- Stir milk mixture into sauce.
- Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened.
- Reduce heat, add cheese, mustard, and oregano.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- For vegetarian use the vegetable broth.
This is very good and I believe that it will taste good on all kinds of meat. I am going to freeze a couple servings to see how it does. Followed recipe exactly with portabellos but I skipped the milk powder and used 1% milk. Thanks so much!
I'm so glad I picked this recipe for the "pick a chef" event. I can't believe this wonderfully creamy and richly flavored mushroom sauce has'nt been reviewed yet. It tastes much more decadent than the fat grams and calories would indicate. The multiple reductions gave the mushrooms intense flavor, and the milk mixture provided a creamy texture. Well worth the time to prepare. I served it with plain pan-grilled pork chops and rice.
I used this as my Beef Stroganoff sauce and it was great. I just added in the ground beef and some onions and garlic and had it over noodles with sugar snap peas on the side. Excellent!