Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love recipes that offer endless possibilities. These granola bars are delicious and any of your favorite add ins will work. Try cranberries and chocolate (white or milk), dried cherries and dark chocolate chunks, coconut & semi-sweet chocolate, and any other combination of treats you can come up with.
- 4 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened (low-fat works fine)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips, chopped almonds, coconut
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan. You can also use a brownie pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, flax and baking soda. In a separate bowl blend by hand vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Add to dry mix and mix well. I use my hands to ensure a good mix (latex or latex-free gloves work well if you don't want to get messy). Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, dried fruits etc.
- Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Drizzle additional honey generously to the top of the unbaked bars. This helps to adhere the bars and lessen the chance of crumbling.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.