4 hrs 30 mins
This first best thing about this pot roast is the great flavor. The second best thing is that you can get rid of partially used bottles in your fridge.. Today I finished off 4 items that were cluttering up the refrigerator door. I've never been able to duplicate Mom's braised pot roast with carrots and potatoes. So after 46 years of trying, I decided to create my recipe. Hope it become a family favorite, too! From the kitchen of Tona Thornburg Court, Moberly MO.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lbs chuck roast
- 3/4 cup cooking oil
- Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup flour
- garlic pepper seasoning
- seasoning salt
- 4 bermuda onions, peeled and halved
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups water
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Heinz 57 steak sauce or 1 cup country bob's steak sauce
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 lbs peeled and quartered russet potatoes
- 3 lbs peeled and quartered carrots
- 1Rub about 1 tablespoon of cooking oil over both sides and edges of chuck roast. Put the remaining oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven and heat up to a fry temperature. While the oil is heating up, quickly rub some Worcestershire sauce all over the meat. Then dredge it twice on both sides with flour, garlic pepper, and seasoned salt.
- 2Add the onions, garlic and chuck roast to the hot oil. Brown the roast on both sides for about 30 minutes, turning only once. Turn the onions frequently until they have a caramelized appearance.
- 3While the roast is browning, add the water, tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, chili sauce, and bay leaves to your electric roaster.
- 4Heat to 350 degrees. Transfer the browned roast, onions, and oil to the sauce mixture. Sprinkle generously with paprika. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Then add the carrots and continue to cook for 1 more hour. Finally, add the potatoes and cook for 1-2 hours. The carrots and potatoes should break apart when forked. The roast will also fork tender.
- 5Remove bay leaves; transfer the pot roast and veggies to a serving platter. The sauce mixture can be thickened with milk and flour to make a flavorful gravy.
- 6I'm serving it with some cole slaw, sliced tomatoes, and bread & butter. It doesn't get more country than this!
- 7By the way, if you don't have an electric roaster, just cook at 350 in your oven in a tightly covered roasting pan.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anything Goes Country Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 800.7
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.7 g
- Cholesterol 179.6 mg
- Sodium 879.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 64.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Heinz 57 steak sauce