Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A versatile recipe that can utilize anything but land animals. I make this as a seasonal dish, using whatever is in season from parsnips to corn to zucchini. I've made it with and without the cream. I've used tempeh instead of shellfish and basil instead of thyme or rosemary. It truly can be what you want it to be!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms or 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 cup sliced green pepper
- 2 cups chopped roma tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped olives or 1 tablespoon olive tapenade
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 3⁄4 lb bay scallop
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned squid, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1⁄2 lb cleaned shrimp
- feta cheese
- Cook brown rice as indicated. Usually takes about 40-45 minutes. While the rice simmers, begin the main dish.
- Heat 1 TBS olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic until color change occurs. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of fresh herbs and green peppers. Cook another 2 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir well, cover and simmer over medium heat.
- Heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Saute shrimp until pink. Add to tomato/mushroom mixture, while preserving oil. Add scallops to oil and cook until done, 3-5 minutes. Add to tomato/mushroom mixture, while preserving oil. Cook squid strips in remaining oil (it doesn't take long before they become chewy). Add to tomato/mushroom mixture.
- Add remaining herbs and cream to mixture. Stir well while heating for an extra minute or two. Ladle over rice and top with feta crumbles and sprig of thyme or rosemary.