Unlike more complicated ramen and often hard to make ramen stock, pho bo can be made easily at home using easy to find ingredients. Recipe from Quick and Easy Vietnamese Home Cooking for Everyone by A. Nguyen and Y. Moriyama with modifications. Feel free to add whatever additional ingredients you like for garnish such as chili sauce, Thai basil, sliced jalapeno peppers if available right before eating to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces rice noodles (pho)
- 12 cups beef stock
- 4 ounces lean beef
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 ounces fresh ginger (no ginger powder for substitutition)
- 4 star anise
- 10 cloves
- 4 shallots, broiled until browned
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- 1Place all ingredients except rice noodles and garnish items in a stock pot over low heat, skimming occasionally.
- 2When beef is cooked, remove from the pot and let it cool slightly and slice as thinly as possible.
- 3Cook rice noodles (pho) in boiling water, drain and transfer into a serving bowl. Top with beef slices and pour over soup.
- 4Garnish with onions, cilantro, bean sprouts, chili pepper and squeeze of lime. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Vietnamese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vietnamese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anyone Can Cook Beef Pho Bo - Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (944 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 436.8
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 19.8 mg
- Sodium 4834.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 19.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: