Recipe by Rinshinomori
Unlike more complicated ramen and often hard to make ramen stock, pho bo can be made easily at home using easy to find ingredients. Recipe from Quick and Easy Vietnamese Home Cooking for Everyone by A. Nguyen and Y. Moriyama with modifications. Feel free to add whatever additional ingredients you like for garnish such as chili sauce, Thai basil, sliced jalapeno peppers if available right before eating to your taste.
- 10 ounces rice noodles (pho)
- 12 cups beef stock
- 4 ounces lean beef
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 ounces fresh ginger (no ginger powder for substitutition)
- 4 star anise
- 10 cloves
- 4 shallots, broiled until browned
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt (or to your taste)
- 1⁄4 yellow onion, sliced thinly (to your taste)
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly cut (to your taste)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1 red chili pepper, cut into thin slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except rice noodles and garnish items in a stock pot over low heat, skimming occasionally.
- When beef is cooked, remove from the pot and let it cool slightly and slice as thinly as possible.
- Cook rice noodles (pho) in boiling water, drain and transfer into a serving bowl. Top with beef slices and pour over soup.
- Garnish with onions, cilantro, bean sprouts, chili pepper and squeeze of lime. Enjoy!