Recipe by s'kat
Beef, chicken, or turkey, simple seasonings, fresh herbs, cheeses, spices... whatever YOU want! Thanks, Jan Carlton! (courtesy WVEC)
Top Review by Mirj
I made these as part of my 9/11 anniversary dinner. We had some friends over for a barbeque and what is more American than hamburgers. Due to religious reasons we left out the cheese (and the Worcester sauce), but they were delicious anyway! I used a bit more garlic than called for in the recipe, and served these with soft buns, and lots of chili sauce on the side. Thanks, s'kat, I'll be making these again!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon favorite steak sauce
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chopped peeled garlic
- seasoning salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 8 ounces thinly sliced fresh mushrooms or 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jarsliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded 3-cheese gourmet cheddar blend cheese or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup country casserole 4-cheese blend cheese (see note)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup chopped peeled onions or 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup green onion
- kaiser rolls or onion roll, each split in half,buttered,if desired,and toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients, mixing well.
- Shape mixture into 8 equal-size thin patties.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons each mushrooms, shredded cheese of choice, and onion or green onions onto the center of 4 patties, allowing a 1/4 to 1/2-inch rim of uncovered meat around the outside edges of each patty.
- Top each stuffing-topped patty with a second meat patty, sealing the two patties of each burger together by pinching with the fingers.
- Pan-fry, broil, or grill burgers as desired about 6 to 7 minutes total for medium rare and about 8 to 9 minutes for medium done burgers, turning each once.
- (Pan-fry burgers over moderate heat. Broil burgers about 6 to inches from heat source. Grill burgers over medium hot (charcoal) coals or medium setting of a gas grill about 8 inches above heat source.) Serve burgers in toasted buns with desired condiments and garnishes.
- Note: May wish to add about 2 tablespoons milk or water to chicken or turkey as both are more dry in texture than ground beef.
- Note: If using fresh mushrooms, place in a small heavy skillet with a few drops of water; cover loosely with aluminum foil and"sweat" over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushrooms are crisp tender but not soft and mushy.
- Note: 3-Cheese Gourmet Cheddar Blend consists of Natural Wisconsin, New York Sharp, and Vermont White Cheddar cheeses.
- Country Casserole 4-Cheese Blend consists of Cheddar, Process American, Monterey Jack, and Muenster cheeses.
- Variations: Use favorite commercial salsa in place of chili sauce in meat mixture.
- Omit seasoned salt; add salt and chili powder, if desired.
- Use Nacho and Taco-Cheese Blend; may add some finely snipped cilantro leaves to cheese, if desired.
- Omit chili sauce and seasoned salt from meat mixture; add Cavender's Greek style seasoning to taste to meat mixture.
- Use crumbled feta cheese with basil and sun-dried tomatoes with the mushrooms and onion or green onions.