Recipe by Britt O's sweetie pie
A co-worker was telling me about this fruit salad she made over Christmas and I decided to try it this weekend. It is delicious. Even my 5 year old GD loved this!! It came from the Taste of Home Treasury of Christmas Recipes. It is even better if you make it two days ahead as the anise extract mellows into the fruit. Prep time is only chopping of the fruit (I buy the grapefruit in the jar)
- 2 cups water
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice or 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon anise extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 2 grapefruits, peeled and sectioned
- 2 large apples, cubed
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 1 lb green grape
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar, lime juice, anise and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cook for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl (I use a trifle bowl). Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour (Actually it is much, much better if you make it at least one day ahead as the flavors mellow).