Recipe by internetnut
I found this recipe at Pinchin Your Pennies. I got it from a fellow couponer on . She got it from Tightwad Gazzette. The Goodie is optional as it is useually more expensive. I love this recipe as there are many different casseroles you can make. My family really enjoys this recipe. I find that it is best to preboil the potatoes till fork tender before using them. As for the binder I've used sour cream and creamed soups together before with great success as the casserole is creamy and not dry.
Top Review by Nif
I can throw together a pretty good casserole, but it was really nice to have the measurements all written out and some new suggestions for ingredients (almonds). This is what I used for this one: 1 large cooked chicken breast (diced), 1 can whole mushrooms (cut in half), 2 cups (when dry) cooked macaroni, 1 1/2 cup sour cream, sliced almonds and some cheddar cheese mixed in with it all. I topped it with some parmesan and toasted bread crumbs. I used garlic powder, pepper and seasoning salt for seasoning, but I would recommend using a lot more. That's it! This is a TERRIFIC recipe for beginner cooks especially because you are pretty much guaranteed to have the ingredients on hand. I tagged this recipe for the "I REDommend Game".
- 1 cup tuna or 1 cup chicken or 1 cup turkey or 1 cup ham or 1 cup seafood
- 1 cup diced celery or 1 cup diced mushrooms or 1 cup peas or 1 cup diced hardboiled egg
- 1 -2 cup thin sliced potatoes or 1 -2 cup cooked noodles or 1 -2 cup cooked rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream, sauce or 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream or 1 can soup
- 1⁄4 cup pimiento or 1⁄4 cup olives or 1⁄4 cup almonds or 1⁄4 cup water chestnut
- potato chips or cheese or breadcrumbs