Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Want to get more whole grains in your diet? This is a tasty side dish that will definitely get you a serving in!
For squash mixture
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and grated (about 7 cups)
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons marsala or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 cups cooked barley (can use any type)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, agave, rosemary, cranberries, Marsala (or sherry), salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a 2 quart gratin dish or a 7 x 11-inch rectangular baking dish, sprayed with non-stick spray.
- In same bowl, combine grains, salt, butter and agave until the grains are well coated. Distribute grains over squash in an even layer. Cover dish with foil and bake until squash is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with the pecans. Continue baking until nuts are lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes longer.