Any Fruit Streusel Cupcakes
- Over medium heat and in a small pot, cook fruit with 2 tablespoons sugar until soft. Remove fruit with a slotted spoon and continue simmering liquid to a syrupy consistency. Add back to fruit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour and sugar. Thoroughly cut in butter using a pastry blender, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2/3 cup of crumbs.
- Combine baking powder and soda. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and vanilla into buttermilk. Add to dry mixture and stir with a fork until just combined. (Do not overstir as cupcakes could be tough).
- Grease a 12 cup muffin tray. Fill each cup halfway with batter. Divide cooked fruit evenly amongst cups, and then top with remaining batter. Mound with streusel.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 25 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean.
- Place tray on a cooling rack to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan. Serve warm or cooled completely.