Recipe by ~heidi~
I received this recipe from a friend. The version I had used blueberries. It comes with a streusel topping.
Top Review by Karen C.
This recipe for Any Fruit Coffee Cake first appeared in BH & G magazine in the September 1981 issue. I still have that magazine and the recipe. What you show here is only a 1/2 recipe for this cake. This cake also makes 1 9 x 13 in baking pan or 2-8 in baking pans. And you can use any fruit in this recipe. I have used this recipe many times and I would rate this cake as a 5 star
- 2 cups fruit
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE FIRST INGREDIENT: You may use raspberries or 2 cups chopped, peeled apples, apricots, peaches, pineapple, or blueberries.
- In a medium saucepan combine fruit and 1/2 cup water.
- Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or till fruit juice is tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Mix the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch; stir into fruit mixture.Cook and stir till thickened. Cool.
- Mixing bowl: stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, mace, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in 1/2 cup margarine or butter till mixture resembles fine crumbs. Combine egg, milk and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, mixing till blended. Spread half of the batter in a greased 9x9x2 inch baking pan.
- Spread the cooked fruit over batter. Spread remaining batter over fruit. Combine the 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour, cut in the 2 tablespoons margarine till mixture resembles course crumbs. Stir in nuts. Sprinkle nut mixture over batter in pan.
- Bake in a 350°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till done.