Recipe by startigerlily2
This is my grandmother's recipe. It's basically a coffee cake. You can choose your favorite fruit, poppy seed, or nut filling. Typically served on holidays such as Christmas and Easter.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (to dissolve yeast)
- 1⁄2 cup scalded milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4-2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- solo brand filling, sweetened to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir yeast into water.
- Scald milk; cool to lukewarm. Add 1 cup of flour; mix well.
- To the milk and flour mixture stir in yeast and beaten egg.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon, salt and shortening; mix well.
- Add rest of flour.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Punch down; knead well.
- Roll into oblong.
- Spread with Solo filling that has been sweetened to taste.
- Roll up.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 30 minutes.