Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The source of this recipe is from Antoine's Restaurant in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Sauté green pepper and onion in 2 Tbsps.
- Add tomatoes and juice and other seasoniongs.
- Blend in the cornstarch using a wire whip.
- Simmer covered 1 hour.
- Sauté the shrimp in 3 Tbsps.
- butter that has been seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Add shrimp to the sauce.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with cooked white rice.
- NOTE: This is better if made a day ahead.
- It can also be frozen.
I have made this recipe several times for the family and when I entertained. They all loved it. I make it quite often. Marilynn