Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Grilled chicken with a French flair! This recipe calls for cooking the chicken in parchment, but heavy duty aluminum foil is an easy and accessible option. The foil packets can be baked in the oven, or they can be placed on the grill for perfect summertime entertaining. Delicious! From Chef Antoine Bouterin. http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2004/04/015.shtml
- 6 boneless chicken breast halves (skinless & trimmed)
- 1 cup chopped leek, white parts only
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup cored peeled cored peeled seeded and diced tomato
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 24 -30 fresh spinach leaves, washed, dried, stems removed
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, or grill to medium-high.
- Cut 6 pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil (or parchment) into rectangles approximately 18 x 20 inches.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Using a cleaver or heavy knife, slightly flatten each breast half.
- Combine the leeks and celery. Put about 1/4 cup of the vegetables toward the bottom edge of each piece of foil.
- Lay a chicken breast on top, and put 4 to 5 spinach leaves on top of the chicken.
- Combine the tomatoes, lemon zest, garlic, scallions, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Divide this mixture evenly among the packets, spooning it on top of the chicken. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the wine over each one.
- Fold the top half of each sheet of foil over the chicken so that the edges meet like a book. Fold the bottom edges up to make a 1-inch fold. Fold the 1-inch closure in half, making a 1/2-inch fold, and fold over once more with a 1/2-inch fold. Fold the sides in the same way. You should have formed a packet, closed tightly around the ingredients.
- Place on a large baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the foil packages swell up. Or cook about 14 to 16 minutes in a covered grill.
- Serve in the packages. letting your guests slit open the foil at the table, and enjoy the fragrant aroma that steams out.
- Good with a side salad, and a crusty loaf of bread for mopping the juices.