Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
From vegetarian times.Sandwiches may be an everyday lunch food, but using artisan bread and flavorful antipasto ingredients elevates a simple sandwich to sophisticated picnic fare. For a vegan variation, omit the goat cheese; instead, spread 1 to 2 Tbs. black olive paste over top and bottom halves of both loaves, then arrange 12 oz. thinly sliced baked or smoke-flavored tofu over roasted peppers and artichokes.
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped, marinade reserved
- 2 (8 inch) focaccia bread or 2 (8 inch) ciabatta or 2 small French baguettes
- 8 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup black olive paste (olivada) or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped pitted kalamata olive
- 2 cups arugula, rinsed and dried (bagged or fresh)
- Combine red peppers, garlic, black pepper and 2 Tbs. reserved artichoke marinade in mixing bowl; toss to coat.
- Split focaccia or ciabatta loaves in half horizontally using a serrated knife. Brush insides with some remaining artichoke marinade. Spread goat cheese on bottom halves and black olive paste on top halves. Layer red pepper mixture, artichokes and arugula over goat cheese. Replace bread tops. Using serrated knife, cut each loaf into 4 portions.
I was trying to duplicate a sandwich I tried at a new little restaurant and this was pretty close - I didn't have focaccia so used some other homemade square italian loaf with cheese and olives on it - instead of goat cheese I used feta, chopped green olives, spinach instead of arugula and added some chopped tomato. It was a bit messy to eat but good.