Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This can be a meal in and of itself with some bread and wine. Our favorite way this past summer was just to make a Beer Butt chicken and have this salad - that was all that was needed. I got this recipe out of one of my magazines (Food, Gourmet, Bon Apetite....), I'm just not sure which one...
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 236.59 ml packed fresh basil leaf
- 1 clove garlic
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 226.79 g thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 (453.59 g) water-packed fresh mozzarella cheese, drained,thinly sliced into rounds
- 4 large tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 59.14 ml kalamata olives or 59.14 ml other brine-cured black olives, pitted,coarsely chopped
- Char peppers directly over gas flame or under broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Enclose in paper bag; let stand 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed, and slice peppers thinly.
- Combine basil leaves, garlic, and salt in processor and blend to coarse puree.
- With machine running, gradually blend in oil.
- Transfer basil oil to small bowl.
- (Peppers and basil oil can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.) Arrange ingredients on a large platter or in a large, shallow bowl, i.
- ,prosciutto around outside, cheese slices within circle of prosciutto and tomatoes within circle of cheese, top with pepper strips (or however you think it will look better).
- Sprinkle salad with olives; drizzle with some basil oil.
- Serve with remaining basil oil at table.