Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Herbs, artichoke hearts, olives, and roasted red peppers enliven ordinary white rice. Fantastic topped with freshly grated Parmesan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup long grain white rice (not instant!)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Combine water, tomato juice, rice, basil, oregano, and salt in a 2 to 3 qt.
- Bring to a boil, stirring once or twice.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Let simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Add the artichokes, red peppers, olives, parsley, lemon juice, and black pepper.
- Cook 5 minutes more, or until thoroughly heated.
- Top with cheese.
A meal all by itself, maybe a simple chicken breast on the side. It's colorful, flavorful and filling. I used a mix of brown and white rice and fresh, rather than canned artichokes and roasted red peppers. It's a keeper.