Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This pasta salad is adapted from Gourmet Magazine and tastes like it came from an Italian Deli. Update: I wanted to add that I like to double the dressing and add more before serving.
- 1⁄2 lb rotini pasta (corkscrew-shaped pastas) or 1⁄2 lb fusilli (corkscrew-shaped pastas)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 ounce sun-dried tomato, not packed in oil, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes and drained well
- 1⁄4 lb smoked mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 ounces canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 ounces sliced hard salami, cut into julienne strips
- 5 -10 bottled small pepperoncini peppers (pickled Tuscan peppers)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
- In a kettle of boiling salted water cook the rotini until it is tender and drain.
- Refresh the pasta under cold water and drain well.
- In a blender blend the garlic, the mustard, the vinegars, the water, the oil, and salt, to taste, until the dressing is emulsified.
- In a very large bowl toss the pasta well with the dressing and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, the mozzarella, the garbanzos, the salami, the Tuscan peppers, the red pepper flakes, and the parsley.
- Chill the salad, covered, for 1 hour.
- The salad may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
I thought the marinade for this salad was fabulous. Next time, I will double the marinade because I thought mine was a little dry. Any leftover marinade I would like to try with some chicken. I would also try using whole wheat pasta and some artichoke hearts to see how that would be. I have tried other recipes from Roxygirl and they have all been good which is why I tried this one. Once again, she did not disappoint. Thanks again, Roxygirl
We have a great salad here! I did leave out the garbanzo beans cause we don't like them. Added lots of hard salami, and a chunk of pepperoni too. Great tasting salad!
This is so good, we would consider eating it as a main dish! I made it exactly as directed and will be making it often : ) Thanks, Roxygirl!