Prep 24 hrs
Cook 4 mins
A nice summertime dish. Needs to be started the day before serving.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1⁄2 lb prosciutto ham, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs strawberries, cleaned, with stems left on
- 1⁄3 lb parmesan cheese or 1⁄3 lb asiago cheese, very thinly sliced
- The day before serving, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the onions and quickly sauté just until they begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in 2 tbls. of the vinegar, stirring to coat. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Two hours before serving, remove the onions from refrigeration and stir in the remaining vinegar.
- Roll each slice of prosciutto loosely and arrange at one end of a large platter; pile the strawberries in the center and the onions at the other end. Tuck the slices of cheese around the platter and serve.
This is a great combination, enjoyed all the flavors together. I loved the balsamic onions with the items more commonly found on an antipasti plate. I made as written except for using white onions instead of red, and reducing the serving size. I used both the parm and the asiago but preferred the parmesan. Thanks Mikekey for sharing, I think I found my summer party dish! Made for ZWT 7 by a Food.commando
Sorry, the strawberry season's over so I used red cherries and raspberries instead but I'm sure strawberries would have been awesome too. Used prosciutto beef here and also tried swiss cheese but in the end I find parmesan better. The whole platter was impressive, so classy. Thank you for the idea, mikekey!
This is such a nice, refreshing combination of flavors! We had this with a very nice Shiraz and the two went together very well. Didn't change a thing about the recipe. Very simple and yet not something I would have come up with on my own. Thanks so much!