Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
I adapted this from a cookbook. My husband and I love it. We eat it room temp most of the time, but it's nice chilled in hot weather, too. The kinds of veggies are pretty flexible - add or subtract whatever veggies you like. You can also change the types of vinegars to suit your taste. Times are estimates and cook time is counted as prep time since I prep one veggie while steaming another. Serve with warm, crusty bread for a delicious dinner!
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 slice onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup baby summer squash, trimmed (I used finger-sized zucchini and radish-sized pattypan)
- 1 cup tiny green beans, trimmed
- 1 cup snap peas, trimmed
- 1 cup baby carrots, cut in halves or quarters lengthwise unless very thin
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 8 mushrooms, trimmed and cut into halves or quarters (I use crimini)
- 1 cup broccoli floret, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bell pepper, roasted (see instructions)
- 8 ounces lowfat mozzarella cheese, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 12 olives (I use pitted kalamata olives)
- 1 (6 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained
- 4 cups baby greens
- Mix together first nine ingredients (oil, vinegars, and seasonings).
- Place garbonzo beans into a bowl, top with onion slice and garlic cloves, and pour 2 tbsp dressing over the top. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- Prepare vegetables and steam each until crisp-tender. Rinse under cold water, drain, and set each aside.
- To roast bell pepper, cut into halves, remove seeds and membranes, and place cut side down on a foil-covered baking sheet. Broil pepper until skin blackens and blisters. Remove from broiler and immediately wrap each half in wetted paper towels. Place pepper halves in a paper bag, fold top down, and set aside for 5 minutes. Remove pepper halves from bad, unwrap, and remove skin. Rinse under cold water, cut into strips, and set aside.
- Remove onion and garlic from garbonzos. Drain marinade and reserve.
- Place greens on a large platter or in a large, shallow bowl (such as a large pasta serving bowl).
- Arrange vegetables, cheese, olives, and tuna attractively over bed of greens.
- Combine reserved marinade and dressing; pour over antipasto.
- Serve room temperature.