Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This can be served warm or cold, perfect served with toasted bread (crostini)
Make and share this Antipasto Di Melanzane (Eggplant Appetizer) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 large eggplants
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 large ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut washed, unpeeled eggplant lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut slices into 2 1/2 inch lengths.
- Place on baking sheet, sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until eggplant is soft.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan.
- Add peeled and crushed garlic, seeded and chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and water; cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Add eggplant, salt and pepper to sauce.
- Stir lightly to combine.
- Sprinkle with red chili flakes.
- Spoon onto serving plate; serve warm or cold.
I was searching to duplicate the Antipasto di Melanzane that I love at a neighborhood Italian bistro and I must say, this recipe is every bit as delicious as theirs! Thanks Katie in the UP! your recipe is perfect as is.